USA travel advice

Explore our complete guide to USA with the latest travel advice for travellers and holidaymakers including official updates and local travel tips for the USA.

USA travel guide - essential info

Below is a beginner's guide to the USA with essential travel facts such as dominant language spoken, typical flight time from the UK and the local currency. You can also check whether visas are required and what plug adapter you need to pack.

USA - quick facts
Flight time 7.5 to 18 hours
Time difference UK -5 to -10 hours
Language(s) English
Currency US Dollar
Electricity A + B plug (120V)
Driving side Right
Visa Yes

Why visit the USA?

Considering a holiday to the the USA? Here are some of the very good reasons it makes such a wonderful holiday destination be it for beaches or culture to ensure you get the most out of your 2024/2025 escape.

  • Beach babes - beaches
  • Culture vultures
  • Nature lovers - nature & wildlife
  • Night owls - nightlife

USA tourist information

✝ = Typical flight time from the UK and visa requirements for UK travellers.

Recommended for the USA

USA deals >>

Back to top

USA weather

  Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
Maximum daytime temperature °C
Hours of sunshine (daily)
Days with some rainfall

The USA weather guide shows long term monthly averages for Washington.

USA destinations >>

  • Save with top deals on holidays to USA
  • Explore destinations & check prices for popular hotels
  • Search for specific dates & departure airport & book

Travel RepublicHoliday deal finder

Back to top

USA travel advice

Check the latest travel advice on visiting the USA from official government sources (in english) from around the world including entry requirements and travel restrictions.

Learn more about the current safety and security risks from terrorism, natural disasters and more. Read about the local laws and customs to consider when travelling around the USA.

Note: UK FCDO - UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office

FCDOFCDO travel advice

Back to top

USA travel health

Find out more about staying safe when travelling to the USA with the latest guidance on required vaccinations and recommended medication to take with you.

Check out the general travel tips for staying safe and healthy in the USA, risks of preventable diseases and what to pack.

Note: CDC - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Back to top

USA covid live updates

Check the latest live updates on Covid-19 in the USA with the vaccination requirements, current available statistics and up-to-date travel advice from government agencies.

Back to top

USA travel features

Do you want to learn more about the USA? Read our latest features covering travel tips and insider destination guides on where to go and what to do in the USA.

Back to top


Read our frequently asked questions about travelling to the USA including the current entry restrictions, covid rules, driving side, electrical plugs used and much more.

Are there entry restrictions to the USA due to Covid-19?

USA is open to fully vaccinated travellers only from the UK.

Proof of full Covid-19 vaccination required for arrivals from the UK.

Check out Centers for Disease Control & Prevention for more information.

Do I need to quarantine in the UK if I travel from the USA?

You do not need to quarantine on arrival in the UK from the USA. The UK no longer requires a passenger locator form, Covid-19 test or proof of vaccination.

What is the flight time to the USA from the UK?

The flight time to the USA from the UK is typically 7.5 to 18 hours.

Flights to the USA

What is the time difference between the USA and the UK?

The time difference between the USA and the UK is UK time-5 to UK time-10 hours.

What is the main language spoken in the USA?

The main language spoken in the USA is English.

Learn a language for the USA with Rosetta Stone*, Busuu* and Rocket Languages*.

What is the currency in the USA?

The currency in the USA is the US Dollar (USD).

Send money to the USA with TransferGo*,* and World Remit*.

Which plugs are used in the USA?

USA uses electrical plug type A + B (120 Volts).

Which side of the road do they drive on in the USA?

They drive on the right side of the road in the USA.

Find out more about driving in USA with International Drivers Association*.

Transport options for the USA

Do you need a visa for the USA?

Yes, UK passport holders do need a visa to enter the USA.

Check USA visa requirements for all passport holders with VisaHQ* and*.

Travel advice by country

Explore holidays in the sun for less

More holidays

Airport parking

More parking

Airport lounges

More lounges

Top ^